Wednesday, August 17, 2011

8.16.11 10:40pm

As most of you know, a lot has been going on with us over the past few weeks, which is part of the reason we haven't updated the blog in a while. I did, however, want to share a couple of things I've written in my journal recently. One is a prayer and the other just contains some thoughts.

I can most assuredly say I've never experienced anything like this before. Lord, I'm not quite sure what to think about all this, what has turned out to be the most intense few weeks of my life. I sit here now in the aftermath of a lost child, still in the middle of an emotional roller coaster ride concerning our deployment to Mada, yet I also feel a great sense of peace and comfort. Your words, I can tell, are taking root and providing a firm foundation on which to stand. Jesus, your prayer that the Father would sanctify His children by His word is being perpetually answered (John 17).

What I notice at this moment is Your work of sanctification through pain. And because I know it is accomplishing Your intended ends, I can rejoice in the means (Rom 5, James 1). I can't promise that I'll feel the same way tomorrow, but I know my feelings are a fickle, untrustworthy judge of truth. Your word is truth, meaning it tells me what is true so I can believe what is true. If you gave up your own Son for us, how will You not also, with Him, graciously give us all things (Rom 8:32)? As a good Father, you have graciously given suffering to sanctify us while simultaneously giving strength to sustain us. Your grace is sufficient. Lord, by whatever means You choose, fill up what is lacking in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment